Now that spring is officially here, it’s time to tidy up around your home and get ready for those warmer temperatures. Not only will you need to spend time in the yard trimming trees and mowing your lawn, but you will also need to pay attention to several indoor tasks that should be addressed as soon as possible. Why? As the temperatures soar, so does your electric bill, but these easy spring home maintenance tips can actually help keep your home running efficiently and help save you money during those long, hot summer months ahead.
Spring Home Maintenance Checklist
- Give your A/C unit a spring tune-up! During the winter, leaves and other debris may have collected around your air conditioning coils; this can affect the operation of your cooling system, if it is not thoroughly cleaned. Contact a licensed HVAC service company to inspect your unit for winter damage, leaks and other issues that could cost you big money in the long run.
- Change you’re A/C filters. Many people neglect to update their filters during the winter months. If you are one of them, be sure to put in a new air filter and mark your calendar to ensure you change it regularly. New filters not only help with air flow, but also air quality in your home.
- Clean your air ducts. If you suffer from allergies, you should definitely look into having your air ducts cleaned annually. Many people report that their homes smell better, there is less dust and they breathe easier after hiring a professional to clean their air ducts.
- Check seals around doors and windows. If you are smart enough to tune-up your A/C system and clean your air ducts, don’t let cool air slip out through cracks and crevices around your home. Inspect the seals around your doors and windows to ensure all that cool air stays inside. Otherwise, you might as well just throw money out the window.
- Get the lint out of your dryer vents. Even if you empty out your dryers filter after each use, your dryer vent is still accumulating dust and debris. Over time, this can build up and cause your dryer to work even harder. In fact, a clogged vent can cost you as much as an additional $20 in electricity each month, not to mention the fire risk it poses, as well. Schedule a professional dryer vent cleaning to ensure your home is protected and you are not wasting money.
Do Your Homework Before Doing Any Housework!
Before you hire anyone to help with these spring home maintenance projects, be sure to check the BBB and other review websites to ensure you are dealing with a company that is licensed, courteous, and professional. Always ask about the ‘final’ price, as some may try to upsell you after promising to service your air conditioning unit or air ducts for an unbelievably low price, and be sure to get it in writing.
Cool Connections is Jacksonville’s go-to HVAC company. We employ only the best NATE certified technicians and offer competitive rates on A/C tune-ups, duct cleaning, dryer vent cleaning and other A/C services. Please contact us online or call 904-908-5252 to schedule a free consultation today!